Stop! Before You Get Out That Ladder to Clean Gutters, Read This
There are a number of reasons to consider gutter leaf protection for your home. When left unattended, clogged gutters can result in thousands of dollars in damage from rot, erosion and foundation problems. Safety is another top concern; each year an estimated 135,000 people suffer from ladder-related injuries – some of them fatal. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, persons 65 and older account for half of all ladder deaths.
Cleaning out gutters poses obvious risks to personal safety. In order to minimize the chance of injury or death, follow these tips.
- Awareness. Be cautious and vigilant when cleaning gutters. Pay attention to the area around you and your home. Note the location of electrical wires. If ground is wet and soft, do not attempt to place a ladder. If your gutters are higher than you feel comfortable climbing, hire someone to do the job for you.
- Ladder safety. Pick a ladder than can reach high enough for you to access gutters without stretching or leaning. When raising and lowering a ladder, take care not to pinch fingers between sections. Have three points of contact with the ladder at all times (two feet and a hand, or two hands and a foot). If tools are required, carry them in a bucket or a bag.
- Clothing. Wear sturdy, non-slip shoes and clothing that will not get tangled in the ladder and cause a fall. Gloves are an important accessory to protect hands from cuts and scrapes while gutter cleaning.
- Electrical wires. Look up for wires before climbing a ladder. Stay a minimum of 10 feet away from overhead power lines to prevent electrical shock.
- Dizzyness. Climbing a ladder can create dizziness that may lead to a fall. Climb slowly. Many people are suddenly overtaken by dizziness when working at a high height. If this happens to you, hold tightly to the ladder while taking deep breaths.
The invention of gutter leaf protection has given homeowners a way to eliminate the risks associated with cleaning gutters. Lofty gutters are no challenge for the pros at Gutter Helmet®. We’ve been installing gutter protection systems for more than 30 years, and are ready to provide services that give you peace of mind and allow you to rest easy. Call 1 (800) 916-7344 for a free estimate!