How Gutter Leaf Guards Can Save You Thousands in Repairs
All homeowners want to better the appearance and function of their home, and a home’s gutter system is one way to do this. Gutters that are in good working order permit rainwater to drain easily away, but this requires an investment in a quality gutter system and gutter protection. Often homeowners think of gutter leaf guards as being too costly, when in reality, they save a great deal of money over time.
Gutter cleaning is the most obvious savings you will notice after installing a gutter cover, whether you did the job yourself or paid someone else to do it. But this isn’t the only expense you’ll no longer need to worry about; a properly functioning gutter system also reduces or eliminates a number of other expenses associated with water damage.
- Gutter cleaning ($150 to $400 per year). A professional gutter cleaning service averages $165 per visit, and many gutter systems require cleaning twice per year.
- Flooded basement (up to $10,000). If your home has a basement, gutter backups can lead to water seeping in through walls and windows. This can cause a variety of damage to walls, flooring, furnishings and more, in addition to the cost of removing water from the basement.
- Exterior damage (up to $5,000). Leaky gutters can cause damage to siding and fascia as they drip and splash over the exterior. For wood siding, this leads to dry rot and peeling paint. Other types of siding may demonstrate staining and mold growth.
- Mold and mildew removal (up to $4,000 per wall). Small areas of mold and mildew caused by water seeping into a home can sometimes be addressed with cleaning supplies and elbow grease. However, when mold develops in ductwork, attic spaces, walls and crawlspaces, the expertise of a professional will be required to prevent threats to your family’s health.
- Damaged landscaping (up to $10,000). When gutters clog and spill over the side, plants and shrubs are ruined and soil erosion ensues.
- Foundation repair ($3,000 and up). Water pooling around a home’s foundation can lead to structural damage such as buckling, shifting and cracking. Costs to repair a damaged foundation range into the tens of thousands of dollars.
If you are considering gutter leaf guards for your home, think of them as insurance against more costly repairs rather than an expense. To learn more about Gutter Helmet®, please call (800) 916-7344 for a free, no-obligation quote.